If you like pork spare ribs you will absolutely love this sauce. It is fantastic on top of fresh home made pasta as the fresh pasta will absorb the flavoursome sauce and you can enjoy eating the ribs as an accompaniment.
- about 1 kg of pork spare ribs (try to get the leanest and meatiest ones available)
- 2 cans of good quality Italian pelati tomato sauce
- 1 carrot finely chopped
- 1 stalk of celery finely chopped
- 1 onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic minced
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- fresh or dried basil to taste about 2 tbsp
- 1 tbsp dried oregano
- 100ml red wine
- Chop the pork ribs into pieces about 4cm wide.
- Add olive oil to a heavy based casserole pot and brown the ribs in batches until golden brown and caramelised.
- Set ribs aside.
- In same pot add onion, carrot, celery and cook for 1-2 mintues until softened. Add garlic and tomato sauce and mash up the whole pelati tomatoes until they disappear.
- Bring to the boil and lower the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes. Add herbs and wine.
- Add the pork ribs to the pot and simmer for about 40 mintues to 1 hour until the sauce has thickened and the pork meat is tender.
- Add it to your favourite pasta and top with grated parmesan cheese. Eat the pork ribs separately or with your pasta and watch out for little bones that may be present in the ribs.