We wanted something quick and easy so I cut the rack into thick steaks and just grilled them with salt and pepper until medium rare. I was wondering what side would go nicely with the steaks and had a look in my refrigerator…I had mushrooms, some speck and some left over Italian crusty bread. The recipe kind of came together by itself really.
This is a very quick side dish with a gorgeous flavour and it takes about 15 minutes to cook…you could eat it as a light main meal during the week if you are in a rush. It is best served freshly cooked.
If you like the mushrooms to be more cooked through, then slice them. You can also add some red chilli if you prefer a good kick in flavour.
- 300g small button mushrooms
- 200g speck, chopped
- 3 slices of crusty bread
- generous bunch of fresh flat leaf parsley, chopped
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 fresh red chilli, chopped finely (optional)
- Sprinkle olive oil on bread and grill in the oven till golden and crunchy.
- Add a good swig of olive oil in a hot wok or frying pan. Add the speck and cook until it starts to colour.
- Add the mushrooms and cook until they become golden and are cooked through. Stir through chilli (optional).
- Remove speck and mushrooms and put into a large serving bowl. Tear the bread into large pieces and add it to the bowl.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste and add a good swig of fresh olive oil (optional) and a handful of chopped fresh parsley.